27 March 2008

I'm a grandmama...again!

I woke up pretty early yesterday, around 6am, so I went downstairs to feed my cats (if my mom hadn't fed them yet). The two small ones - 'Mabait' and 'Mahiyain' - were waiting at the door. No sign of the big cats, 'Damulag' and 'Mommy' mimings.

But as soon as I opened the door -- and ya know how cats recognize sounds, especially if those sounds are associated with food -- I saw Mommy miming come from inside our garahe. First I thought it was strange, because I assumed she would be sleeping somewhere else. But now I'm also relieved to know she finally sleeps within our property again...

...especially now that she's brought her litter here!!! OMG!!! That was a pleasant surprise, and I had just woken up!

I wasn't sure if I was really seeing kittens; I wasn't wearing glasses so I had to go up to my room again just to be sure. I thought there were just three kittens, but as soon as I had my "eyes" on, I counted four! Four black and white kittens, and they look so much alike: blue eyes, black tails, and they're mostly white fur in the body with black patches all over. I'm going to have a difficult time naming them. But still, I'm a grandma...again!

(Then again, as if I'm not really a grandma. No kidding: my college-age inaanak already has kids. Two of them. I remember my tiyo/her lolo joking with me, when would it be my turn. And again, as if my other relatives hadn't wondered that same question.)

It already feels wonderful that Mommy miming has returned, and doubly so that she listened to me and brought her kittens here :-) My concern now is their health. Mommy and the kittens all look so skinny, so I want to feed them some more, or at least Mommy miming because I can't feed the kittens real food just yet.

I think the small ones recognize their mom, too. Because Mabait attempted to nurse from her mother! And I had to shoo him away because not only is he bigger than his mom already, but I'd rather see the kittens nurse from Mommy.

I'm still so happy we have new kittens again. Mabait and Mahiyain are just a year old, so to me they're still kittens, just bigger.

Do I sense the beginnings of a fantasy coming true? Me surrounded by cats and kittens while I sit in a rocking chair doing crafts? Nah, I don't have a rocking chair (yet).

No comments: