15 November 2010

Use it or lose it.

This is embarrassing. How many times have I said I'd update this blog? How many times have I said I promise to write more often? Ugh.

The worst part is it takes me forever to write now. Like I had verbal constipation or something.

My DIY friends had an idea for a write-athon, in tribute of NU107's signing off the air. I readily agreed since I also had the idea I wanted to write about it. Eh anong petsa na, 'day? I've only gone as far as opening sentences. But even that I keep revising since I still have no clear idea where or what exactly I want to say.

On the good side: I was able to start and finish an essay of sorts the other day. I just hadn't published it yet because it is actually an entry for another contest. (Online contests. That sounds familiar... ) I almost had a fit, too, for not posting it immediately because I thought I missed the deadline. I still have until the end of the week, hehe.

Then I see Blogger has new templates. I had to go pick a new one, then edited the layout, edited some posts because the images were wonky, and blah blah blah.

Classic distraction moves. I'm good at allowing myself to be distracted. It leads to procrastination, which eventually ends in doing nothing at all. I'm good at being bad, too.

...

One of the books I'm currently reading is What Just Happened? Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line. It's pretty interesting if you're curious about how movie producers get things done. (I just remembered I had recently read Dawn Steel's They Can Kill You... But They Can't Eat You. I had seen this book at Book Sale for as long as I can remember, but I couldn't buy it then because it was still in the "higher" price range and I guess I was still a student with a limited allowance. Occasionally I'd see it in the bins again, but I didn't exactly prioritize purchasing it because of the other books I got at the time. So finally finally finally I got a copy . Yet even then I didn't read it right away. I think I got around to reading it earlier this year. And guess what? It seems like every point Ms Steel made resonated with me. I just loved her story. It's not often that I want to write the author and let them know how much I appreciated their work, yet in this case I really wanted to. But I found out through Wikipedia she has been dead since 1997. O_O Can you believe that? Was that why the book was "speaking" to me whenever I chanced upon it at secondhand book stores? I wish I knew exactly when I first saw the book, read the blurb and said I wanted to read it. Yep, I'm chalking this one up to another "sign.") But I digress. (Digressions: I'm good at that, too.) Art Linson is apparently friends with Robert de Niro. When Linson was casting for the "bear movie", de Niro asked for a reading. Afterwards, Linson was pressing for an answer, and Mr de Niro replied:

Because if I haven't yet made a decision as to what I want to do, I don't want to do anything. For me, it's better to do nothing than to make false or careless choices.
 Mr de Niro, are you talking to me?

(BTW, Linson also produced another favorite movie: Fight Club. He was impressed with David Fincher (he's just one of my favorite directors -- he directed my other all time favorite movie Se7en! The other all time favorite is Hitchcock's Vertigo.) and Brad Pitt. They were (still are) very talented at their work.

More signs: Robert de Niro was born August 17, 1943. Dawn Steel was born August 19, 1946. My birthday is on August 13. We're all Leos. I've already known de Niro is one, but when I found out the same for Ms Steel? Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...

...

My point is I'll get around to writing again when I feel like it (which is now actually). I do miss writing. I haven't even written in my real journal for years now. Honestly, I've all these drafts I've composed mentally, yet I sit down in front of my computer... I get distracted. I really should have more discipline, too. (Another realization: this could be a topic for another entry... if I do get around to writing everything else.)

...

I'm dumbfound that these are my first posts for this year. Anong petsa na ba talaga, ha??? Can you bilibid? I can't bilibid myself.

No comments: